A photo a day from Oriental, NC, the surrounding Pamlico County area, and nearby rivers, creeks, bays and other waterways of coastal North Carolina.


Oriental Daily Photo is a member of the City Daily Photo blog network.
See daily photos of other towns and cities around the world at:
CDPB Logo

Thursday, October 8, 2009

10.8 - Cement sailboat

Ferrocement ketch at former Tom Thumb Seafood fish-house
I've heard of "chicken-wire and cement" boats before, but never saw one that I knew of until today...

When I found myself on a lunchtime fishing trip (aah, life in Oriental!... I, by the way, was not fishing, but hoping to capture a bald eagle on camera), the Capt. of the vessel I was on took me by the old Tom Thumb fish-house to see this one. He had met the owner last week, so he knew it was a ferro-boat.

Sure enough, cement boats can float! Though it looks like the un-stepped mainmast needs some work, and maybe a name on the transom.

Learn more about ferrocement boats at http://www.ferrocement.org/

The old Tom Thumb Seafood fish-house on Camp Creek has recently been turned into a marina... Not sure of the name, but I think it is Caroon Marina, named after the property owners.

Location of Tom Thumb / Caroon Marina just across Camp Creek from Oriental:

View Tom Thumb Seafood in a larger map

-30-

No comments: