A photo a day from Oriental, NC, the surrounding Pamlico County area, and nearby rivers, creeks, bays and other waterways of coastal North Carolina.


Oriental Daily Photo is a member of the City Daily Photo blog network.
See daily photos of other towns and cities around the world at:
CDPB Logo

Monday, October 12, 2009

10.12- New mast in the making

Gluing up the new mast for the Bauer Classic 10'

This evening I laminated three pieces of fir together to build a new mast for the Bauer Classic 10', hoping to get her all rigged up for the "Greens Creek Challenge" this upcoming Saturday. (See my Daily Photo of the race from last year)

The race is for boats 20' and under, and many of the racers are 5' and under, it being a popular race for the younger sailors. I'm hoping not to be beaten by a 10 year old in an Optimist, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

The Bauer Classic 10' (see my profile picture near the top of the page on the left) has been out of commission for some months since losing one oar and her rudder in a mysterious dockside sinking (see me looking for her rudder.)

The oar has been re-built, and a replacement rudder is in its final stages of construction, but I also decided to build a new mast because the current one is showing some cracks under load, and because I want to change some of the rigging a bit, particularly by raising it all by at least six inches with a taller mast so I can see under the foot of the mainsail more easily.

The glue will set for the next 24 hours, then I will begin shaping the square laminate into a round mast.
-30-

No comments: