A photo a day from Oriental, NC, the surrounding Pamlico County area, and nearby rivers, creeks, bays and other waterways of coastal North Carolina.


Oriental Daily Photo is a member of the City Daily Photo blog network.
See daily photos of other towns and cities around the world at:
CDPB Logo

Sunday, June 21, 2009

6.21- "Mildred"

The wreck of "Mildred"

Today I sailed the 10 Bauer Classic dinghy up Smith's Creek to the "Y" near the headwaters, and ducked into the eastern tributary, known as "Morris' Creek."

I have seen this wreck often from the other side, but I have always been in someone else's boat or a boat with deep draft, so this was the first time I've been able to approach and examine the wreck.

A woman in a neighboring house saw me shooting, and chatted with me, telling me all she knew of the vessel:

It was owned by a local black commercial fisherman known as "Popsicle." The boat had been afloat and in seemingly good condition when the woman moved onto the neighboring property in the mid-80's, but has since sunk and deteriorated as we see now.

Here is the approximate location on GoogleMaps... Cloud happens to obscure this one particular spot:


View Untitled in a larger map
-30-

No comments: