A photo a day from Oriental, NC, the surrounding Pamlico County area, and nearby rivers, creeks, bays and other waterways of coastal North Carolina.


Oriental Daily Photo is a member of the City Daily Photo blog network.
See daily photos of other towns and cities around the world at:
CDPB Logo

Sunday, May 10, 2009

5.10- Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) and MOM!!

An Osprey takes flight with a meal

Happy Mothers day to all Moms out there!
(my, so many of my friends and peers are moms, I cant begin to list them...
But I will give a special NEW MOM shout out to
Frances Hawener Cook!
Way to go Fran!)

but ESPECIALLY to my own Mom!

Happy Mothers' Day!
Now that is a cool Mom!

...Now, so far as Osprey go, it is difficult to tell a male from a female, but I'm gonna declare this Osprey I saw today to be a Mom!
(Click on any image to enlarge)


She was perching and munching on a fresh-caught dinner, no doubt eating for more than one... When I beached the boat to take photos, the sails started luffing and Momma Osprey carried her dinner away to a more private dining venue...

Even minus the head, that fish is a good percentage of her own weight, and she carries it with no apparent effort at all (and with only one leg!)... And she no doubt acquired it by swooping down and snagging it live from the water!
-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful GIFT! and, do love that darling baby on my back! I continue to practice trying to learn to feed my family like that Osprey mom.....but you know your Grandfather used to tell the story of how the Irishman taught his horse to live one air.........